The cast of the vegetable curry
- 4 cups cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 3 cups string beans (cut into 3” pieces)
- 4 carrots (cut into chunks)
- 5 potatoes (cut into chunks)
- 4 oz. fried bean curd
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium sized onion (chopped)
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- ½ cup curry leaves
- 2 sticks cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup curry powder
- 1 cup chilli paste
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 5 cups water
- 2 cans coconut milk (480mL each)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Heat oil in the wok or pot in medium heat. Add in chopped garlic and onion when the oil is hot. Fry until it turns slightly brown. Add in lemongrass, curry leaves, cinnamon sticks, cloves and cumin seeds. Fry until the onions turned brown but be careful not to burn them.
Stir in curry powder, chilli paste, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Add 1 cup of water and stir them into a paste. Turn the heat to low.
Stir occasionally for about 15 minutes until the spices are fragrant. You can add in a little bit of coconut milk if they spices are too dry.
Add in string beans, potatoes and carrots. Pour the remaining coconut milk and 4 cups of water. Cover the wok or pot and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Add in cauliflower and fried bean curd. Stir. Cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt. You can serve the curry with rice or bread.